- It's been a couple of months since my last blog post on announcing my pregnancy and talking about the struggles I went through to get pregnant again. Things have been wonderful since that last blog write-up, and I can't believe I have nearly THREE WEEKS LEFT of this pregnancy. I'm not sure if time has gone by so fast because its been so smooth, or simply because I have my son Sylver to look after instead of just myself and Seek. So a couple things I wanted to talk about in this blog were questions and emails I have received from ALL OF YOU! I decided to break it into three different sections:
1. HOW TO DEAL WITH GESTATIONAL DIABETES WHILE PREGNANT THROUGH FOOD CHOICES.
2. WHAT DO I DO TO STAY ACTIVE DURING PREGNANCY
3. WILL I MAINTAIN THIS SAME DIET AFTER PREGNANCY
1. Firstly, For those that aren't aware of what Gestational Diabetes is, I will give you a quick run-down. Gestational diabetes develops during pregnancy (gestation). Like other types of diabetes, gestational diabetes affects how your cells use sugar (glucose). Gestational diabetes causes high blood sugar that can affect your pregnancy and your baby's health. Any complication or "bad news" during pregnancy can be stressful and quite damaging, but on a positive note, with Gestational Diabetes, it can be controlled through a healthy diet, exercising, and if necessary through medication. I made a conscious decision to control my GD through a healthy diet and exercising. I told myself I would not allow medication to take over the last half of my pregnancy. When I say medication I am talking about "insulin." Also, to be clear, one of the reason being SO ON TOP of GD is because, if a mother decides to neglect a healthier and modified lifestyle during her pregnancy, it could result in having a stillborn. This word alone gives me chills, and I think everyone could agree that a couple changes to your diet and lifestyle is well worth having a healthy baby.
- My diet is simply; SUGAR FREE, CARB FREE, and GLUTEN FREE. (I know it sounds intense and completely CRAZY)
- Being SUGAR FREE is actually not the hard one for me. But a couple things that it does include that people do not realize is; NO FRUIT, or JUICE! This means, no Smoothies on a hot day in Hawaii, no juice to go with my meal at breakfast, and no sneaking in on Sylver's fruit snacks! Sugar is what I am trying to control in my body at this time and although fruit is good for you, it is packed with SUGAR.
- Being CARB FREE is my downfall. I LOVE CARBS. Some of my favorite things to cook with are; potatoes, a slice of bread with my Italian meals or a nice hearty sandwich. I love white rice when going to Asian Restaurants (starch- and a total killer for sugar levels), PASTAS, potato chips while hanging out at the beach, etc. I have always been a carb lover, so cutting this out is probably more difficult than the whole sugar deal. After the first week of no sugar my body doesn't crave it as much, and I'm able to go throughout my days without daydreaming of it and seeing dancing cookies in the sky.
- Being GLUTEN FREE is difficult because there is nothing better than a nice WARM homemade slice of White Bread! You would be so surprised how many things you buy have white flower as an ingredient, and you would also be surprised how terrible gluten is for you. So many children at young ages are developing food allergies, and a lot of the time is comes out that GLUTEN is the cause of their bad health, bloating, hives, rashes, swelling, etc. My personal experience with being gluten free has been very interesting. With age, I have noticed that I am getting more cellulite around my thigh and booty area. It isn't as noticeable when I am not pregnant, but for some reason the minute I am, the texture of my skin gets very bunched together. Both time I have been pregnant with Sylver and this current pregnancy, I have developed this cellulite texture. Once I got diagnosed with GD, after about two weeks of cutting gluten out of my diet; my skin miraculously goes back to normal and has a smooth soft texture again. I wish I had a picture to show you the comparison. But to give you a creative visual, while still eating gluten, the back of my thighs, butt, and even a little on my arms looked like cottage cheese. Not only did it look awful, but every time my husband would massage through it, the pain was almost unbearable. It hurt so bad. It was almost as if a bunch of toxins were just sitting at the top of my skin creating this yucky surface. Literally two weeks after being gluten free, my skin went smooth again, and when my husband massaged me, the pain was no longer unbearable. I now know that even though Gluten may not give me hives, or swelling, or any of the other side effects; my body defiantly doesn't want it. Also, with being gluten free, I have so much more energy, and I never need a nap. I feel much lighter, and ready for the day in the morning. Gluten tends to make me feel tired and exhausted every single morning as if a train had hit me.
* I was recently approached by a lovely girl that lives right here on the North Shore. Her Name is Amanda, and she has a wonderful business called "Amanda's Health BAG." Her life goal is; "healthier living, with less effort." This intrigued me so I decided to try some of her meals. I must say I was completely blown away by all of her meals. They were full of flavor, spices, sauces, and the best part is; its all GLUTEN FREE and DAIRY FREE! Her system of delivering the meals to your home is incredible. She comes to your home, or in my case she met me at the beach to drop off my bag of goodness. This came with three full meals that could feed myself, my husband, and my son no problem. She has a folder explaining the benefits of being gluten and dairy free, along with all of the recipes and directions on how to make your meals that are inside the bag. Here are some of my favorite meals she has provided for me;
IF YOU GO TO www.amandashealthbag.com, you will be able to get more details on her delicious meals and how it works. All her meals take under 20 minutes to make and they are all divine. I was blown away from the first meal.
Also, Here is a list my favorite foods to snack/eat on while living the Gestational Diabetes diet:
FITNESS DURING MY PREGNANCY!
VIDEO by: @RocaMoon
So for starters, I will start out by saying I am not a runner. I don't like running, I'm not good at running, and I overall don't do it. So that may leave people with the questions as to how do I get my cardio in, and what other alternative things must I do to keep up staying as fit as possible. I grew up in a family of yoga and pilates. My mom is a Pilates instructor, and my big sister Jess is a Yoga instructor. They are both incredible at what they do. I fell in love with both (mostly pilates) at an early age. All throughout high school I worked at the pilates studio my mom taught at in Orange County. Pilates is a perfect combination of diving your body into a perfect mix of stretching, holding, and pulsing; all while connecting with body, mind, spirt and ultimately sculpting your entire body creating that lean strong figure. This form of working out has always done wonders for me in more than one way, so during pregnancy I try to incorporate it as much as possible.
FIRST 7 MONTHS OF PREGNANCY
- Bike ride in the morning with my son to the fruit stand or to any beach.
- while my son is napping or playing with a friend/cousin, I do mat pilates in my home or outside.
- I do work my abs the first 5 months and then start to take it easy after that.
- I mostly focus on leg, butt, inner thighs (good for child bearing), and then arms.
- My pilates workouts are never longer than 25 minutes
- After that I always make sure to stretch! Stretching is SO SO important!
LAST 2-3 MONTHS OF PREGNANCY
- I mostly walk, stretch a lot, and do butt, leg and arm workouts. Within these months I really take it down a couple notches. I listen to my body when it has had too much.
- The above video is a clip that my Sister in Law mona did right before she fled the island to her home Country of New Zealand for Christmas. She has become quit the inspiration, and continues to master her goals. I wish I could say she was my full time personal trainer, but unfortunately most of her workouts scare me. So when our schedules do align, she tends to take it easy on me and make it a little more "Bree Friendly." The above series is one of my favorite workouts to do while pregnant. It is super simple, yet if done correctly you will be ON FIRE. The burn is great, and when working out with Mona you will feel it in full force. Visit her page at @rocamoon to see some amazing-kid friendly workouts that will get your Momma butt in SHAPE!
WILL I CONTINUE TO KEEP THE DIABETES DIET AFTER PREGNANCY?
- I love this question that so many of you asked because it is something I myself have thought about on a number of occasions. I have come to the conclusion that my health and lifestyle has become so important for myself, and my family, so yes I would love to say that I will cut out Gluten as much as possible, white rice, and having a ton of sugar within our home. But I also wont beat myself up if I decide to have a dessert here and there, or have pasta that isn't gluten free. Having GD has trained my mind to think before eating just ANYTHING, and when shopping at the grocery store, to look at the ingredients in the back to see what is inside the food. I have learned to cut down on meat, and turn more to plant based options that have just as much protein. I have learned that just because I am drinking a smoothie, doesn't mean its packed with nutrients. Being educated with food is so important, and I am forever grateful that I was diagnosed with GD with Sylver and now this pregnancy. I have learned so much, and I feel that keeping a cleaner diet during pregnancy is easier on your body before and after birth, and for the health of your newborn baby. Eating this way also creates a mood within your own home that has helped shape the way my husband and son Sylver eat. Striving to make healthier food choices is an excellent goal, and I challenge everyone this upcoming New Year to dedicate some time to improving your health, educating yourself, and figuring out what the best fit for you is.
My Sylver is so EXCITED to be a big brother! I can't believe my boy is almost 4! I love him.
HUGE THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT WAS APART OF THIS BLOG POST!
- MARYSIA SWIM- @Marysiaswim
- My adorable Swimsuit that I must say is incredible for pregnancy is from @Marysiaswim. I have worked with them a couple times now and they are absolutely my favorite suit to wear. The quality is material is unbeatable, not to mention they area always coming out with new styles that never seem to fail. My suit is the Palm Spring Bikini Top, and the Spring Bikini Bottoms in OLIVE.
- Sylver is wearing their trunks as well, they are by far his favorite trunks to wear. This particular pair is black with a olive tie string which he loves and calls his "Ninja turtle Trunks". This is in their Bumby Boy Shorts collection. Shop their beautiful pieces at Marysiaswim.com.
- Photographer- @hbgoodie
- The beautiful Heather Goodman shot all the images for this blog post, This girl is not only so talented with the camera, but is a beautiful person inside and out. She is always looking for ways to better herself and help others around her. She recently just started up a new blog that is a must read! Head over to her Instagram at @hbgoodie to see her beautiful work, and the link to her blog.
- HEY MAMA- @Heymamaco
- Hey MAMA is one of my favorite pages to follow! Their philosophy is to bring all Mama's together to inspire and create a wonderful community of love, creativity, and coming together. They feature working Mama's, or truly any Mom that inspires them. Reading through their different blogs about all these women around the globe is a great read if you have any spare time. One thing I love about HEYMAMA, is they are willing to work with so many different types of mothers out there in the world. They don't have a certain "type" of mom they cater to, which is so refreshing. They are so kind, open, and loving to everyone that approaches them which I absolutely adore. If you want to feel inspired and uplifted visit them at heymama.co
- BEAUTY- @lubrows_studio
- I always have the lovely Lu to thank for keeping me fresh and feeling beautiful. This woman is a heart of gold and some kind of magician. She will make you feel like a million dollars. (she uses all organic-self made products, and will whip your eyebrows into SHAPE!) She is located at the Sugar Mill by @SevenBrothers.
- FITNESS- @Rocamoon
- Thank you to my lovely sis in law for always inspiring me to get off the couch and MOVE. Days spent with her are always an ADVENTURE. Love you. Xx
Mahalo for stopping by! I would love to answer any further questions so PLEASE email or message me!